Let’s connect to who you are…
In the whirlwind of our daily lives – filled with tasks, responsibilities, and routines – it’s all too easy to lose sight of our core essence. We become engrossed in the ‘doing’ and often neglect the ‘being’, forgetting to pause and truly connect with our authentic selves.
Why is this self-connection so pivotal? It serves as a beacon, guiding us through challenges, empowering our decisions, and enriching our relationships. Furthermore, while seeking external guidance and support is undoubtedly valuable, there’s an abundance of wisdom, strength, and encouragement that lies within each of us. Sometimes, all we need is to tap into it.
The journey of self-discovery is an ongoing process. But every so often, it’s essential to step back and realign with our inner selves. One profound way to do this is through a reflective activity named “Who Am I?”
The “Who Am I?” Exercise
This exercise isn’t just about listing your job title, roles, or societal labels. It’s about diving deep into your beliefs, values, passions, and dreams. It’s about understanding what makes your heart sing, what keeps you motivated, and what truly matters to you.
Here’s a simple guide to help you embark on this introspective journey:
Set the Scene: Find a quiet space free from distractions. It could be a cozy corner in your home, a serene park, or even a calm café. Make sure you have a journal or paper and a pen.
Begin with Breathing: Before diving in, take a few deep breaths. This not only calms the mind but also prepares you for introspection.
Prompt Yourself: Start with the question, “Who Am I?” Write down everything that comes to mind. It could be qualities, beliefs, passions, or even challenges you’ve overcome.
Dive Deeper: Ask yourself why you wrote down each point. For example, if you wrote “I am compassionate”, ask yourself why you believe that. Maybe it’s because you always find time to help others or because you empathize with people easily.
Reflect and Reconnect: Once you’ve listed everything, take a moment to read through. Reflect on each point, understanding its significance in your life.
Action Steps: Based on your reflections, jot down one or two actions you can take to strengthen your connection with these attributes or to address areas you want to develop.
Explore self through these 10 Questions:
Take out a piece of paper, journal, or document on your computer and sit down when you have time and answer these questions truthfully. Be with yourself at the moment and really reach inside yourself to find the answers.
- What is a significant difficulty that has occurred and what did I learn (or am learning) from it?
- What is something that I am proud of that I have recently done (Remember it can be something really easy and simple)?
- Where is my favorite place to be?
- What is my favorite thing to do?
- When was the last time I really leaned into deep self-care?
- What are my current passions and goals and how can I encourage those today?
- What is one thing I would do if money, health, or any challenges I have were not a part of my life?
- What is my most loved trait about myself?
- Who are the people that are the most supportive of me?
- What pictures, quotes, etc I could place around my living environment that will continue to inspire and encourage me throughout my day?
Engaging in the “Who Am I?” exercise is not just about self-awareness but also self-acceptance and growth. By connecting with our inner selves regularly, we not only reinforce our self-worth but also navigate life with more clarity, purpose, and joy.
As you journey through this week, and the many that follow, remember to cherish the incredible depths of who you are and draw strength from the reservoir of support and encouragement that resides within you.